Latest News and Developments
Nomination Deadline is Feb. 12 for Young Lawyers Division Awards
Five 2016 LSBA Young Lawyers Division (YLD) awards will be presented at the June 2016 LSBA Annual Meeting.
• The Hon. Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award recognizes a young lawyer for commitment and dedication to upholding the quality and integrity of the legal profession and consideration towards peers and the general public.
• The Outstanding Young Lawyer Award recognizes a young lawyer who has made outstanding contributions to the legal profession and his/her community.
• The Service to the Public Award recognizes a young lawyer local affiliate for implementing a program or providing a service that assists the general public in the local community. (The program or service must be sponsored by the young lawyer local affiliate.)
• The Service to the Bar Award recognizes a young lawyer local affiliate for implementing a program or providing a service that has benefited and/or enhanced the attorney community. (The program or service must be sponsored by the young lawyer local affiliate.)
• The YLD Pro Bono Award recognizes a young lawyer for commitment and dedication to providing pro bono services in his/her community.
For more information, contact YLD Awards Committee Chair Dylan T. Thriffiley, (504)842-4517 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the 2016 Young Lawyers Division Awards Form.
2016 State High School Mock Trial Competition
Case materials are now available for the 2016 Richard N. Ware, IV State High School Mock Trial Competition. The state competition will be held in Baton Rouge on March 12, 2016, at the 19th Judicial District Courthouse (300 North Blvd.). The winning team will go on to compete at the National High School Mock Trial Championship in Boise, Idaho.
YLD to Present Professional Development CLE Seminar on Jan. 15
The Louisiana State Bar Association's Young Lawyers Division will present its annual Professional Development CLE seminar on Friday, Jan. 15, 2016. The registration cost is $30 and includes electronic course materials and breakfast at the J.W. Marriott Hotel (614 Canal Street, New Orleans). The program has applied for 4 hours of CLE credit (including 1 hour of ethics, 1 hour of professionalism and 1 hour of law practice management). The seminar is open to the first 175 young lawyers who register; onsite registration will not be allowed unless space is available. Session topics will include:
7:30 – 7:50 a.m.
7:50 – 8:00 a.m.
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. (Professionalism)
Ernest "Ernie" Svenson, The Svenson Law Firm, New Orleans
Materials for Session One, click here or right click to download
9:00 – 10:00 a.m. (Law Practice Management)
Maintaining a Practice
Kyle A. Ferachi, McGlinchey Stafford, PLLC, Baton Rouge
Materials for Session Two, click here or right click to download
10:00 – 11:00 a.m. (Ethics)
Lawrence J. "Larry" Centola, Martzell & Bickford, New Orleans
Tobin J. Eason, Weiss & Eason, Mandeville
Materials for Session Three, click here or right click to download
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
LSBA's SOLACE Program
Mark C. Surprenant, Adams and Reese, LLP, New Orleans
Materials for Session Four, click here or right click to download
12:00 - 12:10 p.m.
for more information or to register online.
Volunteer for a YLD Committee
Serve the public and the profession by getting involved with an LSBA YLD committee! YLD committee assignment requests are now being accepted for the 2015-16 Bar year. Volunteer with amazing projects like Wills for Heroes and Barristers for Boards, or leave your mark on the profession through impactful committees like Bridging the Gap and Minority Involvement.
Committee descriptions are available here
The YLD Committee Sign-Up Form is available here