Upcoming Local and Specialty Bar Events - Bar Year 2016-2017Here is a list of upcoming local and specialty bar events for the 2016-2017 Bar year. Please check the list frequently - changes and updates will be added regularly. If you would like your bar organization's event listed, please let us know! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the event details (date, time, location). View Schedule
Baton Rouge Bar Celebrates Court Opening - Janaury 25, 2017
Baton Rouge Bar Association hosted its annual Court Opening and New Admittees Recognition ceremony at the 19th Judicial District Courthouse on January 25, 2017. A reception immediately followed.
(L to R) Commissioner Quintillis K. Lawrence, 19th Judicial District Court; Loren Shanklin Fleshman, Smith Shanklin Sosa LLC and BRBA Young Lawyers Section Chair; Dona Renegar, LSBA president-elect; Karli Glascock Johnson, Kean Miller LLP and BRBA president.
Volunteer Opportunities for Attorneys - "Suit Up for the Future"
Each year the LSBA, in partnership with the Louisiana Bar Foundation and the Just the Beginning Foundation, hosts the Suit Up for the Future program, a FREE three-week legal institute, during which students attend an abridged law school session, field trips to law schools and courts, and an internship consisting of shadowing at area law offices and courts. The 2017 session will be held June 12 – June 30, 2017
The Suit Up for the Future program is a success because of the number of attorneys, firms, judges and organizations who volunteer their time and/or staff. We are asking you to consider one of the following ways that you could be a part of the 2017 Suit Up program:
Volunteer for one hour
- During the three week session, attorneys are invited to volunteer their time from 12:00 - 1:00 to spend time talking with the Suit Up students. If you are interested in participating, please contact the Member Outreach and Diversity staff at email@example.com
- During the second week of the Suit Up session, June 19-23, 2017, students are assigned to "shadow" attorneys at firms, courts, and organizations. This is a great opportunity for students to see for themselves what attorneys do on a daily basis; and to spend one-on-one time with attorneys in the workforce. If you or your firm would be interested in providing a shadowing opportunity for one or more Suit Up students, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
BRBA Honors Retired Mayor "Kip" Holden - January 11, 2017
Former East Baton Rouge Mayor, Melvin “Kip” Holden received the Baton Rouge Bar Association’s Presidents’ Award on January 11, 2017. At the BRBA’s officers’ installation ceremony 2016 BRBA president, Jeanne Comeaux., recognized the recently retired mayor for his “service, dedication, and contributions to the Baton Rouge Bar Association.”
(L to R) Melvin “Kip” Holden, retired East Baton Rouge mayor; Jeanne Comeaux, Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, LLP
Lafayette Bar Celebrates Court Opening and Red Mass - January 13, 2017
The Lafayette Bar Association hosted its annual Red Mass and Court Opening ceremony on January 13, 2017. The Red Mass was held at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. A luncheon, sponsored by Broussard & David, LLC, immediately followed in the Cathedral Center. The Court Opening ceremony was held at the Lafayette Parish Courthouse. LSBA president Darrel J. Papillion joined the LBA in welcoming the new admittees. A reception followed at the Jefferson Street Pub.
(Back Left to Right) LSBA President Darrel Papillion, LBA President-Elect Donnie O’Pry.
(Front Left to Right) Maggie Simar, LBA President Missy Theriot, Retired Bishop Michael Jarrell, Bishop J. Douglas Deshotel, LBA Immediate Past-President Danielle Cromwell and LSBA President-Elect Dona Renegar.
BRBA Installs New Officers - Janaury 11, 2017
Baton Rouge Bar Association installed its 2017 officers during their annual Installation Ceremony and Reception on January 11, 2017. The ceremony was held at the U.S. District Court for the Middle District. Karli Glascock Johnson, Kean Miller LLP, was installed as the 2017 Bar President. The Honorable Brian A. Jackson, Chief Judge, US District Court, Middle District of Louisiana, presided over the ceremony.
(L to R) 2016 BRBA president Jeanne C. Comeaux, Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, LLP and 2017 BRBA president Karli Glascock Johnson, Kean Miller LLP.
Get Involved! Become an LSBA Professionalism Facilitator
Are you interested in:
- Increasing your diversity knowledge and skills?
- Boosting your confidence in delivering effective diversity and inclusion training?
- Improving your understanding of stereotypes, prejudices and cultural differences?
- Discovering new ways to reduce bias?
- Helping others become more culturally competent?
- Gaining tools to promote diversity and inclusion through training?
If so, you may want to consider becoming an LSBA Professionalism Facilitator. Facilitators are attorney volunteers that give of their time to educate others on promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession. If you are interested in joining us, please contact us at email@example.com.