Celebrate Pro Bono! National Pro Bono Celebration
Louisiana Celebrates Pro Bono Service Throughout the Month of October
This year's October Month of Service and Celebrate Pro Bono Week was a great success due to all of the volunteer attorneys who participated in events throughout the state. To read more about the events, see the latest issue of the Louisiana Bar Journal. The Louisiana State Bar Association thanks all of the volunteers who took the time to support Pro Bono work in Louisiana. please see a list below of the fantastc events that took place this October.
Numerous events were scheduled across the state for the October Month of Legal Service:
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
- 19th JDC Self Help Resource Center. The East Baton Rouge Family Court hosts on ongoing Self-Help Resource Center at the 19th JDC every Tuesday and Thursday.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
- Orleans Parish Self Help Resource Center. The Civil District Court in New Orleans hosts its ongoing SRL efforts conducted by Baker, Donnelson, Entergy, Adams & Reese, and Bruno & Bruno every Monday and Wednesday.
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
- Arts and the Law. Attorneys discuss legal issues with local artists and musicians. Topics discussed were Sales Tax, Permits and Licenses. For photos of the event, click here.
Friday, October 11, 2013
- Veterans' Ask a Lawyer Day. The Shreveport Bar Association organized a one-day free legal advice for veterans. For photos of the event, click here.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
- 9th JDC Self-Help Resource Center. The Central LA Pro Bono Project hosted a Self-Help Resource Center at the 9th JDC on the afternoon of the 11th.
Friday, October 18, 2013
- ADR Section School Outreach Program. Members of the ADR Council gave presentations targeted to third and sixth graders at schools in Baton Rouge.
Saturday, October 19, 2013
- “Ask A Lawyer Day”. The Orleans Civil District Court hosted a free walk-in legal clinic on all topics.
- “Ask A Lawyer Day”. The Baton Rouge Bar Foundation Pro Bono Project hosted a free walk-in legal advice clinic on all topics at the Main Library in Baton Rouge the morning of the 19th.
- Hispanic Community Legal Clinic. The Pro Bono Project hosted a free walk-in legal advice clinic on all topics targeted toward the Hispanic community at the Hispanic Resource Center the morning of the 19th.
Several events were scheduled across the state during National Pro Bono Week, Oct. 20-26.
Monday, October 21, 2013
- “Divorce Workshop”. The Pro Bono Project along with volunteer attorneys from the Capital One Legal team will conduct a divorce workshop for clients. Clients will receive help from a volunteer attorney reviewing, signing, attesting to, and notarizing divorce pleadings. 40-50 people will be scheduled at the workshop. For photos of the event, click here.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
- “Senior Clinic”. The Pro Bono Project is hosting a free walk-in legal advice clinic on all topics targeted toward the elderly at the Metairie Senior Center the morning of the 21st.
- Financial Literacy Seminar. Baton Rouge volunteer attorneys presented information on reverse mortgages, debtors' rights and debtor issues pertinent to senior citizens at the Delmont Service Center in Baton Rouge.
Statewide Day of Service
Thursday, October 24, 2013
- "Thirst for Justice". The Baton Rouge Bar Association organized a free walk-in legal advice clinic held at St. Vincent de Paul in Baton Rouge the afternoon of the 23rd covering all topics.
- Wills and Power of Attorney Clinic. The Central Louisiana Pro Bono Project hosted a free Wills and Power of Attorney Clinic at the Rapides Parish Main Library. Attorneys were available to prepare wills, both living and simple, and Power of Attorneys, both durable and healthcare.
- Free Legal Clinic. The Jefferson Bar Association held a free legal clinic for unrepresented persons of Jefferson Parish. For photos, click here.
- “Wills for Heroes”. The LA Young Lawyers Section, with the Shreveport Bar Association, participated in a Wills for Heroes event at the Shreveport Bar Center. For photos of the event, click here.
- "Thirst for Justice". The Baton Rouge Bar Association organized a free walk-in legal advice clinic held at St. Vincent de Paul in Baton Rouge covering all topics.
Friday, October 25, 2013
- 4th JDC Young Lawyers Pro Bono Helpdesk. The Young Lawyers Section of the Fourth Judicial District Bar Association participated in this statewide volunteer effort by hosting a free “Ask-a-Lawyer” helpdesk on Thursday, October 24, 2013, at the Ouachita Parish Courthouse, Courtroom #3, with the assistance from a representative of Legal Services of North Louisiana, Inc. The helpdesk aided the public by providing assistance to unrepresented litigants, or potential litigants who are considering representing themselves in Domestic/Family Law matters. For photos of the event, click here.
Saturday, October 26, 2013
- “Ask a Lawyer Day”. The Northshore Pro Bono Project of Southeast Louisiana Legal Services and the Washington Parish Bar Association hosted an "Ask-A-Lawyer" event free-of-charge. For photos of the event, click here.
Thank You to All of the Month of Service Volunteers:
Alexandra Bar Association
- Consumer Clinic. The Pro Bono Project hosted a free walk-in legal advice clinic on consumer topics at St. Peter Claver Church the afternoon of the 26th.
Joe Perez Montes
Baton Rouge Bar Association
J. David Andress
Judge Douglas Dodd
Jon Ann Giblin
Kenneth A. Mayeaux
J. Ashley Mitchell
Jennifer Gauthreaux Prescott
Mary Ann White
Jefferson Parish Bar Association
New Orleans CDC
New Orleans Pro Bono Project
Paul D. Johnston
John F. Young
Northshore Pro Bono Project
Shreveport Bar Association
Meagan Lynn Miller
Sarah Margaret Smith
Slidell Bar Association
Sponsored by the ABA, the National Pro Bono Celebration is a coordinated effort to showcase the great difference that pro bono lawyers make to the nation. The LSBA's Access to Justice Program works with local pro bono projects to highlight the work of Louisiana's pro bono community and the difference it makes to our state, our system of justice, our communities and, most of all, to the clients served.
October 20 - 26, 2013 is National Pro Bono Celebration Week. Contact your local pro bono organizations
and ask how you can “Join the Celebration.”
Join the Celebration! The Access to Justice Program has listed statewide pro bono events sponsored by local pro bono organizations. Check the calendar listings for events in your area.
Celebrate Pro Bono Event Resources
If you would like to plan an event in your area in conjunction with Celebrate Pro Bono Week this October, check out the resources below, also found at the National Celebrate Pro Bono website
- An article by ABA staff attorney Adrienne Packard called, "Social Media and Pro Bono: An
Essential for Program Success"
- Tips associatiated with statewide organization, low/no cost event ideas, and organizing in law firms
- Here you can find a Celebration Store order form and stickers)
-This includes: a 1-hour pro bono CLE with program materials, civic speeches, a "Clinic in a
Box," recruitment drive materials, and proclamations appropriate for different entities)
- This contains resources for legal advice clinics, such as sample intake forms, participant sign-in sheets, etc.
- Many sample jusicial letters are listed here
- Resources here include law school pro bono student handbook, pro bono program supervisor
manual, fundraising ideas for pro bono programs at law schools, and tips for starting a law school pro
- A sample form and two sample letters of solicitation of sponsors are found here
- Many tools are listed here, inlcuding promotional materials, letters to the editor and press releases
Latest Access to Justice News and Events
No Articles Found