Latest News and Developments
Attorneys, Bar Association Receive 2015 LSBA Young Lawyers Division Awards
Four LSBA members and the Baton Rouge Bar Association received 2015 LSBA Young Lawyers Division (YLD) awards. The awards were presented by 2014-15 YLD Chair J. Lee Hoffoss, Jr. of Lake Charles and other YLD Council members at the LSBA’s Annual Meeting.
- Cliff A. LaCour, a partner at NeunerPate in Lafayette, received the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award.
- Bradley J. Tate, tax manager for the firm of Prejean Romero McGee in Lafayette, received the Bat P. Sullivan, Jr. Chair’s Award.
- Laranda Moffett Walker of Pearland, TX, an attorney in the Houston office of Susman Godfrey, L.L.P., previously in the Baton Rouge office of Phelps Dunbar, L.L.P., received the Hon. Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award.
- Rolando R. Urbina, an assistant public defender in Section 5 of the 19th Judicial District Court and the member-manager of the Law Offices of Rolando R. Urbina & Associates, L.L.C., in Baton Rouge, received the Pro Bono Award.
- The Baton Rouge Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section received the Service to the Public Award for its Self-Help Resource Center.
- The Baton Rouge Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section also received the Service to the Bar Award for its Health and Wellness Fair.
2015 Richard N. Ware, IV State High School Mock Trial Competition
Caddo Parish Magnet High is 2015 State Winner of High School Mock Trial Competition
The mock trial team from Caddo Parish Magnet High School in Shreveport is the 2015 state winner of the Richard N. Ware IV High School Mock Trial Competition. The competition was March 28 at the 14th Judicial District Courthouse in Lake Charles. The winning team went on to represent Louisiana in the national competition.
Also receiving awards at the state competition were the team from Baton Rouge Magnet High, state runner-up; Evan Doomes, a student at Baton Rouge Magnet High, “Best Attorney” Award; and Grace Mobley, a student at West Monroe High, and Jake Fasick, a student at Jesuit High, tied for “Best Witness” Award.
Winning teams by region included:
• Region 1: Caddo Parish Magnet High, champion; West Monroe High, runner-up.
• Region 2: Northside High Team 1, champsion; Northside High Team 2, runner-up.
• Region 3: Zachary High, champion; Baton Rouge Magnet High, runner-up.
• Region 4: McGehee School, champion; Jesuit High, runner-up.
Volunteer for a YLD Committee
Serve the public and the profession by getting involved with an LSBA YLD committee! YLD committee assignment requests are now being accepted for the 2014-15 Bar year. Volunteer with amazing projects like Wills for Heroes and Barristers for Boards, or leave your mark on the profession through impactful committees like Bridging the Gap and Minority Involvement.
Committee descriptions are available here
The YLD Committee Sign-Up Form is available here