$5000 Match Offered for Gift Card Donations to Puerto Rico


Consider making a donation for the Puerto Rico Bar Association (the Colegio de Abogados y Abogadas de Puerto Rico), its members, their staff and families to get back on their feet.

An anonymous donor has promised to match up to $5000 against gift card donations for hurricane relief efforts on the island.
 
The American Bar Association Standing Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness has been of great assistance in coordinating with the Puerto Rico Bar Association. The Puerto Rico Bar Association’s executive director has advised that hurricane victims would greatly appreciate gift card donations for the following stores: WalMart, CVS, Walgreens, Home Depot, Sam’s Club, Costco and Office Depot. Visa and American Express gift cards would also be very welcome.

The Louisiana State Bar Association will receive, collect, and forward the gift cards to the Puerto Rico Bar Association. The Puerto Rico Bar Association will then distribute the gift cards to those members adversely affected by the hurricane as they try to rebuild their lives.
 
Hurricane Maria devastated the island’s population, infrastructure and safe water supply. An estimated 28 percent of Puerto Rican residents lack running water and the remaining 72 percent have been advised to boil or disinfect their water before drinking it. More than 80 percent of the island’s electric grid that is not functioning. The gift card donations will allow individuals to purchase such supplies as solar chargers, vehicle chargers, water purification tablets, water buckets with lids, soap, toothpaste, detergent, shampoo and other equipment for home and office that will be most helpful to them.
 
If you can assist, please directly send your gift cards to:
 
Louisiana State Bar Association
Attn: Mindi Hunter
601 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70130



LSBA News Resources

Louisiana Bar Journal Bar Briefs
Louisiana State Bar Association
601 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70130
(800) 421-LSBA(5722) / (504) 566-1600