Practice Management Program
If practicing law today, you are part of a business, and perhaps even running the business. Legal practice requires a strong grasp of the law, and also of computer systems, personnel issues, file management, billing, efficient client communication, marketing, and many other skills to keep the business end of what you do humming along. The business details of running your office can be overwhelming, and may require you to draw on skills that perhaps were not part of your law school curriculum.
The LSBA's Law Practice Management (LPM) Program can help fill in the gap. A member service of the LSBA, the LPM program provides a variety of services to help you manage your law office. The LSBA's LPM Program is dedicated to assisting lawyers manage their law office.
- LPM Advisory Service: If you have questions about the management and marketing of your office, the LPM Advisory Service can point you in the right direction. Contact us by phone or by email. You may direct your inquiries to Shawn L. Holahan (email@example.com, 504-619-0153).
- Lending Library: The LSBA's Lending Library has an excellent collection of recent titles from noted authors on the management of your law office, business planning, marketing, billing, quality of life, and much more.
- Online Publications: Scroll down the Lending Library page and find the LSBA Uniform Title Standards (2000), and the Louisiana Protective Order Registry (2014).
- Practice Aid Guide: The Essentials of Law Practice Management (2004): Originally published in 2004 by the LSBA and underwritten by Gilsbar, Inc. (now Gilsbar, LLC) and now in the process of being updated, this FREE valuable online (and downloadable) resource provides excellent Louisiana-specific advice to the Louisiana lawyer on establishing an attorney client relationship, management of conflicts of interest, billing, maintaining the attorney client relationship, law office procedure, file management, calendar control, termination of representation, and ethics and professionalism. Look for the updated PAG which will debut in 2016.
- Disaster Planning and Continuity: It's not just for hurricanes. Disasters might include local events, like a theft or an illness of a key employee. Every firm should have a simple disaster plan in place. This webpage provides some solid pointers to create a simple disaster plan.
- Fee Dispute Arbitration Program: If you are having a fee dispute with your client, consider LSBA's low cost fee dispute arbitration program. The webpage contains more information on thee program.
- Practice Management Pipes: This webpage changes daily and features a current listing of articles nationwide on topics regarding legal technology and practice management.
- Setting Up a Practice: Go here for pointers and resources. Be sure to check the Lending Library as well.
- Closing a Practice: Retiring or moving on? Check here on how to close properly your office and the Lending Library.
- Solo and Small Firm Resources: The solo and small firm resources webpage augments the aforementioned resources with links to forms and other resources specific to the small office practitioner.
- Tech Tips: This webpage is dedicated to tips on choosing tech wisely and to spotlight technology products which attorneys are using in their practice.
- Government Links: This page provides links to State and Federal Courts and Other Government Agencies
Seminars and CLE Credit
The LPM Program offers relevant low or no cost CLE and non-CLE programming on law practice management topics.
- Annual Solo and Small Firm Conference: A jam-packed two day conference features fifty speakers and four topic tracks, dedicated to the small firm practitioner with emphasis on law office management and technology and relevant substantive areas of law impacting the small office practitioner. Mark your calendars for the next one: Feb. 25-26, 2016, at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans.
- Four Corner Seminars: These FREE day-long seminars around the state will have a particular emphasis on law practice management.
- Marketing Mondays: A new feature of the LPM Program, these "how-to" topics will focus on the business end of the law office.
- Tech Tuesdays at the Bar Center: Tech Tuesdays provides practitioners a low cost opportunity to learn about a tech topic over lunch in a small setting.
- Other programming on the business and technology side of practicing law.
Information regarding these programs is posted on LSBA.org and emailed to members via Louisiana Bar Today
. For additional information, contact Practice Management Counsel Shawn Holahan