2017 High School Mock Trial Materials Available Online
The LSBA YLD is responsible for coordinating local mock trial competitions for high schools throughout the state and for sponsoring the Richard N. Ware IV State High School Mock Trial Competition where all local winners compete.
The 2017 State High School Mock Trial Competition will be held on March 11, 2017 at the 4th Judicial District Court in Monroe, Louisiana. The state winner will then travel to the National High School Mock Trial Competition, which will be held May 11-13, 2017 in Hartford, Connecticut.
The 2017 state case involves a free speech suit, Logan and Hayden Harrison v. Riviere Rapide School District
LSBA Members, Bar Associations Honored with 2016 Young Lawyers Division Awards
Six LSBA members and two local bar associations received 2016 LSBA Young Lawyers Division (YLD) awards, presented by 2015-16 YLD Chair Erin O. Braud and other YLD Council members during a June 8 ceremony, held in conjunction with the LSBA’s Annual Meeting.
- Alysson L. Mills of New Orleans received the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award.
- Graham H. Ryan of New Orleans received the Bat P. Sullivan, Jr. Chair’s Award.
- Kas L. Hargis of Houma received the Chair’s Special Award.
- Carrie L. Jones of Baton Rouge received the Chair’s Special Award.
- Judge Karelia R. Stewart of Shreveport received the Hon. Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award.
- Dwazendra J. Smith of Opelousas received the Pro Bono Award.
- The Lafayette Young Lawyers Association received the Service to the Public Award for its Holiday Giving Program.
- The Baton Rouge Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section received the Service to the Bar Award for its Angola Road Trip and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program.
Volunteer for a YLD Committee
Serve the public and the profession by getting involved with an LSBA YLD committee! YLD committee assignment requests are now being accepted for the 2015-16 Bar year. Volunteer with amazing projects like Wills for Heroes and Barristers for Boards, or leave your mark on the profession through impactful committees like Bridging the Gap and Minority Involvement.
Committee descriptions are available here
The YLD Committee Sign-Up Form is available here